30 September 2010

Ethiopian Hospitality

Ethiopia has its own calendar system, and just last week they celebrated the New Year, bringing in 2003. We were invited to several houses for a wonderful traditional meal and coffee. One such place was the house of our Assistant Manager, Wolde Mamo. It was a beautiful, sunny morning when we headed off to his house. As always, we were welcomed with generous hospitality known to the Ethiopian culture. We sat and ate our fill, talked, enjoyed his family, and participated in the famous coffee ceremony. We had a fabulous time. But just as we were preparing to leave, it began to pour down rain. Our visit was extended for about 45 minutes until it let up enough to run from the house to the car. We all settled into the car and waved goodbye one more time.

Andrew started the car and began pulling away, but instead of heading the way he turned the wheel, it went sideways along the muddy slope of a road. We attempted to maneuver our way up the road, but the car insisted on going straight into a deep ditch. Wolde and his family immediately came to our aid, along with all the neighbors. Because it was the holiday, everyone had on their nicest clothes, and instead of changing them quickly and putting on something more casual, they ran right out into the rain and mud. We were definitely seen as a priority. A rope was tied to the back of the car, and everyone engaged in a tug-of-war with the car. The car won. It went deeper into the ditch and plowed into the bank on the other side. Immediately, they began digging trenches in the mud, putting down logs, rocks, and dry straw. But the car only laughed at the men by spinning its wheels and covering everyone with mud.

I decided to help out the men and grabbed the rope. Surely one more person could help defeat the one ton Land Cruiser. But as quickly as I grabbed the rope, my feet slipped out from under me, plunging me into the mud. I too was now covered in mud with no gain to speak of. This war went on for an hour, and ended with the car stubbornly coming out the ditch. I turned and looked at the damage we had done to our very hospitable friends. Covered with mud and drenched in rain, everyone was smiling and waving. Although the car must have been pleased with the damaged he incurred upon us all, I think it helped us more than anything. For we saw the great selflessness of the Ethiopian people. We gained a better understanding of helping a neighbor in need. We learned more about what the Bible means when it says, "Consider others better than yourselves."

I love Ethiopia. I know that after living here, I will be changed for the better.


Andrew and Faith

1 comment:

  1. Andrew and Faith-
    This makes me smile! Thank you for so consistently articulating these stories of faith and redemption on your blog. I love it! Next time I'm covered in mud I'll think of your Ethiopian friends' kindness.
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete