28 November 2010

Forest Gump

itle: Forrest Gump- 11/22/10

After a long season of rain clouds, the sun has finally decided to show its bright face and warm up our lives here in Ethiopia. The staff have begun to play volleyball after hours again, the mud is slowly drying up, and we no longer smell of mildew every day. It is a very welcomed change. It also gives rise to the opportunity to do more outdoor sports, such as running.

I frequently go on a run now in the cool of the evenings. It is my time to get away and just be with me.

One day, I headed off for that alone time that is so precious, but it was a bit earlier than when I usually go for a run. I headed off on the dirt road on the way out of town. I soon caught up to a group of kids returning home from school. As I flew past them I heard a rush of comments. "Look at the foreigner running." "Where is she going?" "What is she doing?" "Look!" "Look!" And then laughter.

I thought that as I kept running, the voices would fade in the distance, but to my surprise, not a one of them did. In fact, they got louder. I turned around to see all 30 something children running with me with big smiles on their faces. I turned back around with a frown on my face, turned my MP3 player up, and thought, "There went the alone time."

I assumed that the children would get tired of running and find the spectacle a bore after a few minutes, but they kept in step with me. In fact, every time we came upon a new child, all the group would chime, "Come with us." And one more would be added to the entourage.

I felt a little like Forrest Gump. The farther I went, the bigger the mob got, each few minutes adding one or two more children who must have been inspired by seeing someone running. (Or more likely, finding something out of the ordinary to do.)

We kept on like this for another mile before the children began dropping off as they neared their homes. In the end, I only had one faithful follower. I just assumed he was still running with me because he had not reached his home yet. However, when I reached my stopping point, I turned to head back home. He too turned. Confused, I asked him where his home was. He pointed back in the direction from which we came.

It was a long walk back, and I was enjoying the evening, walking and listening to my music. My companion walking quietly by my side. After walking about 30 minutes in silence, I rewarded my faithful follower by giving him one ear piece so he too could listen to the music. He smiled and listened and bobbed his head to the beat all the way home, which was from the point that the children first began to join me.

That is the way inspiration is, huh? Many join in at the beginning, but few remain inspired till the end. I hope my little friend will join me again one day.


Faith

1 comment: