05 May 2014

You meant it for evil... God meant it for good


“You meant evil…but God meant it for good.”

Our house in Liberia is located about 2 minutes from the beach, and although the locals don't find that to be such a thrilling thing, we Americans can’t help but go jump in the waves whenever the chance arises. So, as it was an extremely hot day, the girls and I decided to go to the beach to cool off. We packed just a few things in a bag- you know, the normal beach necessities: a towel, sunscreen, and sunglasses- and off we went. The waves were a little rough, so I held on to the girls’ hands as we played in the surf. We hadn’t been in the water five minutes before a man came walking by, grabbed our bag, and took off. I would normally have chased after him, but since I had the girls with me, I took to yelling out at the thief (as if he would believe me), “There is nothing in there! There is only a towel! Look for yourself! I don't have any money!” I kind of shrugged it off until I realized it did have something of value- the keys to our house! I grabbed the girls hands, drug them quickly to a neighbors house, and went running through the neighborhood asking if anyone had seen a man in a white shirt with a blue bag. Everyone said they hadn’t seen him. At last I came to a compound that had a large group of people in it and asked the same question. Everyone shook their heads. But one old lady yelled from within the house that she had seen him and pointed me in the direction. Off I went! After losing his trail again, I went in the direction of my house thinking he might find the keys and try and get in. But right before I went in, some people ran to me and said they had found him.

We ran back to the compound of the old lady, and a large crowd had gathered. All I could see was a mob of people, yelling and pushing. And the next thing I know, someone brought my bag. I quickly opened it up to see if anything was missing. And of course, my keys were gone. Immediately the crowd began searching the thief for my keys and found them hidden under his foot. The crowd quickly began beating him and two buddies of his that were obviously in on it too. After weakening the thieves, they loaded them into a car and told me to go to the police station to make a statement. I brought the girls along with me, as I did not know how long this was going to take.

We arrived at the police station, and we all gave testimonies to what had occurred. I was told I could go, but as I left, I turned to the young guys who had stole my bag and said, “I forgive you.” I thought that even this could be an opportunity to share God’s love.  However, unbeknown to me, to say you “forgive” someone in this culture means that you drop the case against them. The police said I should sign a waiver saying I did not intend to press charges. I took to explaining what I had meant, but it made no sense to them. They asked again, “So, you want to forgive these men or not?” My six-year-old daughter, Alea, looked up at me and said, “Mommy, just forgive them.”

Oh, to see the world through the eyes of a child! This is why Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven belongs to ones such as these. I looked down at her and said, “You are right. I need to just forgive them.” So, I signed the papers and left.

That evening, we went across the street to eat some street food. As we sat and ate our greasy arrangement of fried foods, person after person came up to us and said, “I am sorry that you got your bag stolen today. I am really so sorry.” The food lady would then proceed to recite the whole story, as if they hadn’t heard it already.  All those gathered around would get riled up as if reliving the whole experience again. And this occurred with every person who stopped to buy a snack, and every passerby would be drawn into the commotion. People began jumping at the opportunity to share their similar experiences from this same gang of thieves.  And as I sat there listening to these people, people that earlier that day had no clue who we were or that we lived among them, I realized that they now ALL knew who we were. And not only that, but they also identified with us. And in God’s mysterious and wise ways, He had opened up a door into the community that would have never been had our bag not got stolen.

It makes me think of Joseph being sold into slavery into Egypt by his brothers, and how God used that to save His people. He said to his brothers, “You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.”  That gang of thieves had plotted evil against us, but our God has meant it for our good!  I serve a really great God!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Another great story of how to live, Faith and Alea! In the US, it would be enabling a thief to keep living that lifestyle. But, he probably wouldn't have been roughed up by laymen here. I can't help but think that that was a good lesson. Love to see people protecting you! Amazing to think of God's great provisions for us...always. Love you guys! Jane

    ReplyDelete