01 June 2014

Jack-of-all-trades, master of none


Having completed three months in Liberia, I have started taking isolated incidents and drawing broad sweeping conclusions that apply universally to the culture here.  While I realize that I am in no position to pass judgement on an a culture of which I am an outsider, I can’t help myself.  This is Andrew, by the way.  I’ve been told this is a stage that all go through when adapting.  And this ain’t my first rodeo, as they say, so I recognize that I’m in that stage.  Nonetheless I want to share with you my recent observations.  Liberians are flexible to a fault.  They are a jack-of-all-trades, ready to give their two cents on any topic.  The national pastime is arguing (bear in mind my stage of adaptation).  They even have a local name for arguing, “palava”.  Every community has an area where public debate is held at any time of the day.  They call these places “palava huts”.  All are welcome to the palava, in fact, the more the merrier it seems.  The loudest voices seem to win; although there is never really victory, just a gradual decrescendo.  What impresses me most about these palavas is that anyone and everyone claim to be experts, even on matters of which they are clearly ignorant.  I think Liberia values generalists with flexibility and resourcefulness—one who would appeal to any potential employer.  As an employer myself, i have seen a few Liberian résumés that reflect this idea.  Just a few weeks ago I received a business card for a company called Caspian Holdings.  On the back, it clearly states what the company specializes in: “WATER & SANITATION / ENVIRONMENT SERVICES / INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT / CONSULTING / CONSTRUCTION / PROCUREMENT / OIL & GAS SERVICES / ENERGY SERVICES / POWER GENERATION / AGRICULTURE / AVIATION / CONSUMER PRODUCTS / EXPLORATION SERVICES / EDUCATION / MINING SERVICES / REAL ESTATE” 

I will give one more example of the Liberian ideal to be a jack-of-all-trades.  The small church that we have started attending in our community has a name that has something for everyone: “Gospel Safari Able God Ministries International Incorporated — Operation Save Liberia”.  If you can’t find at least one of those ten words that appeals to you, than I guess you just can’t be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment